Frequently Asked Questions - FAQs
GSMA recognizes that embedded SIMs (eSIM) are a critical enabler for the proliferation of the M2M use cases. Sensorise brings the embedded SIMs (eSIM) to the market, in collaboration with TSPs, in an end to end orchestration. The Embedded SIM lifecycle management requires additional capabilities and orchestration.
This document answers questions that are usually encountered when discussing the capabilities of the eSIM, and its lifecycle management.
Unlike the pluggable single profile SIM cards for the mobile devices, the UICC / eUICC requires some distinct new lifecycle steps:
- The eSIM requires a “bootstrap subscription” (technically, the provisioning profile) for that life-stage when eSIM is still in the pre-market, factory stage
- The eSIM can have one or more “commercial subscriptions” (technically, the operational profiles) for the end buyer
This document is written at a time when requirements, specifications, standards, policies and the ecosystem are changing rapidly.
This FAQ is an educational material, nothing in this document can be used for the purpose of a contract or be considered binding for Sensorise, unless signed into an Agreement.
Introduction to the AIS 140 Compliant QoSim® (M2M SIM) and SenseLCM® Solution
QoSim® and SenseLCM® Features
QoSim® (AIS 140 M2M SIM) allows OEMs to develop and sell devices that work anywhere in India with multiple network profiles and automatic network selection, with several benefits:
- Two or three pre-selected Telcos ready to use on eSIM
- Bootstrap subscription on eSIM, ensuring factory fitment with test connectivity
- eSIM ensures seamless fall back to a second Telco in case of coverage problems
- Subscription lifecycle management (activate/ deactivate)
- Single Lifecycle management platform agnostic to Telecom Service Provider
- SenseLCM® is secure, based on GSMA Guidelines / ETSI standards
- QoSim® (M2M SIM) and SenseLCM® compliance to AIS-140 Standards is established in the mutual Testing between parties, and by ICAT/ARAI testing for Certification
Automatic Network Switching
The QoSim® (M2M SIM) Automatic Switching features offers the device connectivity from a choice of one or more telecom networks. This is essential for the Indian context, where no single telco can provide 95% coverage commitment.
The automatic switching capability is built into the QoSim® (M2M SIM), it does not require any device firmware changes, other than the fact that the Device must be ETSI Release 99 compliant and Certified with QoSim® (M2M SIM).
Remote Network Switching
The SenseLCM® platform can remotely ask the QoSim® (AIS 140 eSIM) to select a particular network from amongst the ones that are pre-personalized on the QoSim® (eSIM). New network profiles can be downloaded over-the-air.
Sensorise has developed the QoSim® (M2M SIM) and SenseLCM® technology to secure and liberate the IoT / M2M applications ecosystem. Sensorise has setup a carrier class platform in India for the lifecycle management of the Customers, SIM, Subscriptions and Plans.